Travelling by train for the first time is a fun and exciting experience but you probably have a few questions.
10 Tips for first-time train travellers
Below are a few tips that will make your first experience on a train a great one:
- Get there early. To avoid any stress, it’s best to arrive at the train station at least 30 minutes before you need to depart. This way you will have time to find your platform and prepare any luggage that needs to be checked. You can also use this time to review your route and make yourself aware of any connecting trains.
- Check your baggage. Most trains will allow you to take two carry-on bags or up to 23kgs per person, along with smaller items such as blankets and handbags. If you have excess luggage, you will need to check it in.
- Get comfortable. The more comfortable you are, the better your train trip will be. Comfortable, loose clothing is best for train trips and a blanket and a pillow will also come in handy.
- Explore the train. As comfortable as your seat is, don’t be afraid to move around and explore the train. Take in the views from the observation car or grab a snack from the snack car. The dining car is where chef-prepared meals will be served and you can enjoy the company of other travellers.
- Get some rest. Train seats are far more comfortable than aeroplane seats, making it easy to get some sleep during your trip. To find out more about the type of seating you can expect on your train, visit https://uesint.com/ues-seating-range/ues-passenger-seating/. There is also the option of upgrading to a room if you would prefer to sleep in a bed.
- Keep your camera close. You never know what amazing scenery you will spot from your window so keep your camera close by so that you can capture it as it happens.
- Don’t forget the snacks. Most trains will allow you to bring your own food and drinks on board so bring a few of your favourite snacks along with you to enjoy on your trip.
- Bring a charger. While your train trip is the perfect time to read a book and relax, you may want to bring a charger along to make sure that your phone is fully charged once arrive at your destination.
- Have a backup plan. In case you want some additional entertainment for when the sun goes down, it helps to download a few movies or podcasts before your trip and load them onto your laptop or tablet. Bring some headphones along too so that you don’t disturb the other passengers.
- Sit back, relax and enjoy. Now all that you need to do is sit back, relax and enjoy your first experience on a train. You may even find that your journey is just as fun as the destination itself.